Active Buildings & Construction Site Safety Reminder
New York City is in Phase Four of the State’s reopening guidelines; all active buildings must ensure the appropriate guidelines are being followed. Since nonessential construction restarted in New York City on June 8, 2020, DOB inspectors have been busy visiting construction sites to ensure that all guidelines are being followed.
All buildings which are currently open must follow New York State’s guidelines for their specific industry. Buildings are being routinely inspected for compliance with all applicable regulations. The State has authorized local jurisdictions to issue penalties up to $10,000 for non-compliance.
The New York Forward website has several helpful tools:
- Determine if your business is eligible to reopen with the Lookup Wizard
- Review specific Industry Guidance documents
- Review information regarding Phase Four Industries
- Review Frequently Asked Questions
Please note that these tools and guidelines may be updated so it is important to frequently monitor the website for any changes.
It is important that all construction sites follow the Department of Building’s (DOB) guidelines to ensure on-site safety and to avoid violations and Stop Work Orders.
The following items MUST be posted on-site:
- New York State Interim Guidance for Construction Activities Affirmation posted with Safety Plan
- Site specific COVID-19 Safety Plan posted in a prominent location at all points of egress from construction site
- Signage indicating required 50% capacity maximum for elevators, hoists, restrooms, or other confined spaces
- Posted within the cab and at every landing
- COVID-19 signage throughout the site regarding proper hand hygiene, physical distancing rules, appropriate PPE, and cleaning and disinfecting protocols
The following items MUST be available on-site at all times:
- Designated COVID-19 site safety monitor
- Hand hygiene stations
- Communication Plan for employees, visitors, and clients
- Completed and updated cleaning log
- Completed and updated contact tracing log
For more information and the latest updates see the DOB’s Construction Restart page, including several helpful resources such as a printable checklist for restarting construction and construction dos and don’ts.
Please note that the DOB’s reopening guidance applies to all construction activity in NYC until New York State rescinds or amends the Executive Order and related guidance for the ongoing COVID-19 public health emergency.
As more information becomes available we will continue to update our newsletter and website, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us for assistance with your project.