Update to New Property Owner Certification
The NYC Department of Buildings has updated the new procedure regarding Property Owner Certification.
The DOB updated the previously issued Service Notice to change the deadline to June 30th and exempt government-owned properties.
Effective June 30, 2021, all applications, except Limited Alteration Applications (LAA), elevator, electrical jobs, and jobs for government-owned properties, must submit the new Property Owner Certification form prior to permit. DOB has stated that this requirement cannot be waived.
The 2014 NYC Building Code defines owner as “any person, agent, firm, partnership, corporation or other legal entity having a legal or equitable interest in, or control of the premises.”
- name and business address of each owner of the property,
- a list of properties owned by each person, and
- the amount of arrears owed by each person for each property.
Covered arrears include the following fees that are not currently in the appeals process:
- unpaid fines, civil penalties, or judgments entered by a court or by OATH pursuant to Chapter 2 of Title 28 of the NYC Administrative Code and
- unpaid and past due fees or other charges assessed by DOB.
We have very limited direction from DOB about how these terms are defined; we will release more information as it becomes available.
For more information, see the DOB’s Service Notice published May 27th and subsequently updated.