Revised Construction Superintendent Responsibilities
Any new permits or renewed permits require a construction superintendent if the job does not fall within a Site Safety Program and if the work includes one of the following:
- Vertical or horizontal enlargement
- Demolitions of more than 50% of floor area of existing building
- Alterations of more than 50% of floor area of existing building that require special inspection for structural stability
- Complete removal of one or more floors (stories)
- Any work requiring a special inspection for underpinning or support of excavation (SOE)
- If a Site Safety Manager has been listed on a previously secured NB or ALT I permit that is also not a Site Safety Project, they must now be superseded with a Construction Superintendent.
A construction superintendent is also required for:
- Construction of New Building
- Full demolition of existing building
Unless otherwise required above, a construction superintendent is not required for:
- Jobs requiring a site safety plan
- One-, two-, or three-family New Buildings (NB)
Alternate Construction Superintendent
- If the primary construction superintendent (listed on the PW-2/permit) is unable to perform any of the required duties, an alternate Construction Superintendent may substitute for up to two weeks. This does not have to be reported to the DOB.
- The PW-2/permit must be amended if there is a permanent change to the construction superintendent.
Note that no individual may be designated as the primary construction superintendent on more than 10 jobs per RCNY 3301-02.
To read the DOB service notice summarizing these changes click here.
To read the text of RCNY 3301-02 regarding construction superintendents click here.