New Construction Superintendent Requirements
Changes will become effective Monday, May 30, 2016 regarding when a construction superintendent is required on site.
This rule amends Chapter 3300 of Title 1 of the Rules of the City of New York (RCNY) and repeals Chapter 48 of Title 1 of RCNY concerning construction superintendents.
Construction superintendents are required for any of the following types of work:
- Construction of a new building
- Full demolition of an existing building
- Alteration of an existing building that involves one or more of the following: (including alterations of 1-, 2-, and 3-family dwellings)
- vertical or horizontal enlargement
- alteration or demolition of more than fifty percent (50%) of the floor area over a 12 month period
- the removal of one (1) or more floors over a 12 month period
- work that requires a special inspection for underpinning or the protection of sides of excavations
- Other projects that posed an greater risk to the public and property, at the discretion of the Commissioner
Exceptions, except as described above construction superintendents are not required for the following types of work:
- A project with a required site safety plan
- Construction of a new 1-, 2-, and 3-family building
- A project for which the DOB issued or renewed the primary alteration permit within 3 months of the effective date of this rule (5/30/16)
To read additional information about this change, click here.