Guidelines for Essential Construction Request Submissions
New information has just been released by the Department of Buildings. Based on how the new mechanism is set up with DOB NOW, all Essential Construction requests must be submitted on an individual job/project/document basis. For example, a typical New Building application has several documents, which means that each applicant of record (R.A., P.E.) must individually log into their DOB NOW account, add the associated job number and document number to the chart provided on the web page, then process the request. You can include multiple application numbers related to the same project filed by the same applicant.
The essential construction request system will allow applications to be grouped together based on who the applicant is. This means that your MEP will be able to submit both the plumbing (PL) and mechanical (MH) request for the New Building, as well as a secondary request for the sprinkler/standpipe (SP/SD) application. In addition, it can be a mix of DOB BIS applications and DOB NOW applications. So long as the applicant does not exceed the threshold of 10 applications per submission. With that said, our office strongly suggests that the project team decides which trades you want to make the essential construction requests for based on the work needed to happen on site. As a reminder, this option is only available to applications that are either in APPROVED or PERMITTED status. This does NOT apply for jobs that are currently in disapproved status.
Please see example below, based on a typical New Building project:
- Architect of Record: Responsible for Architect of Record request for New Building application # 123456789, document 01
- Mechanical & Plumbing Engineer of Record: Responsible for Mechanical & Plumbing Engineer of Record request for New Building application # 123456789, document 02
- Foundation/Structural Engineer of Record: Responsible for Foundation/SOE/Structural Engineer of Record request for New Building application # 123456789, document 03 & 04
- SOE Engineer of Record (Support of Excavation): Responsible for Foundation/SOE/Structural Engineer of Record request for New Building application # 123456789, document 05
- Engineer of Record for Sprinkler/Standpipe scope: Responsible for Engineer of Record request for Sprinkler/Standpipe application # 123456788, document 01
- Engineer of Record for Generator scope: Responsible for Engineer of Record request for Generator application # 123456799, document 01
- Engineer of Record for Boiler scope: Responsible for Engineer of Record request for Boiler application # 123456897, document 01
Please keep in mind that this is a brand new option that was added less than 24 hours ago, so it is subject to change. Our office is here to help, please reach out if you need assistance.
To see the latest information released from the Department of Buildings monitor their new COVID-19 response page.
To see the latest information from Design 2147 please see our news page.