Posted on May 3, 2017
Design 2147, Ltd. is seeking an extraordinary candidate to join our growing team in the capacity of a Zoning and Building Code Consultant
Job Description: The Zoning and Building Code Consultant will be an integral part of the Zoning and Building Code group responsible for providing both clients and staff with analysis and review of building plans or potential building schemes for conformance with the Zoning Resolution and applicable New York City building codes.
- Under tight deadlines, performs complex research relating to construction codes, zoning resolution and related laws and rules
- Reviews building plans, Bulletins and/or zoning documents and confer with internal as well as external shareholders to determine building code and/or zoning compliance
- Examines and reviews designs and specifications for the construction, alteration or repair of buildings under the jurisdiction of the Department of Buildings to note compliance with and violation of Building Code provisions and other pertinent codes and regulations regarding structures, materials, applications, and methods of construction, etc.
- Prepares a variety of reports regarding proposed projects that includes but is not limited to parking restrictions, height and setback, lot coverage, floor area, yards and court restrictions and flood plan information
- Demonstrable experience with the use and application of the New York City Zoning Resolution as well as general familiarity with development and building laws, ULURP Process, Board of Standards and Appeals and City Planning Commission
- Self-motivated individual with superior verbal, written and presentation skills
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization, and time management skills with demonstrated commitment to delivering excellent results in a fast-paced environment
- People person with excellent interpersonal skills who is patient, tactful, diplomatic and approachable
- Strong problem-solving skills – ability to structure problems, evaluate alternatives and implement strategic solutions
- Proven project management skills – ability to drive multiple simultaneous projects to completion in a fast-paced environment
- Applicants for the position must possess a J.D., with preference given to those admitted to practice in New York. Familiarity with New York City’s Zoning Resolution and a strong interest in building codes is required for this position. A background in planning, engineering or architecture is strongly preferred. An understanding of the organizational process of the Department of Buildings and city government is a plus.
Design 2147, Ltd. is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace