Increased Gas Safety in NYC
Posted on December 15, 2016
Earlier this month Mayor de Blasio signed several pieces of legislation which will increase gas safety across New York City. In the event of a gas outage these bills will help protect tenants and also improve safety by requiring better information sharing between City agencies and gas utilities.
|The bills passed include the following new provisions related to gas safety:
- All gas piping work must be performed by a person with DOB mandated qualifications
- The DOB’s final gas piping inspection must be conducted in the presence of the building owner or superintendent
- Building owners must have gas piping systems inspected every 5 years by a DOB qualified inspector
- Dwelling owners must provide written instructions to current and prospective tenants for what to do in the event of a gas leak
- Gas service operators and owners must notify DOB within 24 hours of gas service being shut off in a building and when gas cannot be restored due to safety concerns
- The Mayor will designate an agency or office to identify potential health or safety hazards such as unauthorized gas usage
- Gas utility corporations must provide annual reports detailing the condition of gas asset planned infrastructure projects and investment priorities over the next year
- DOB will establish or adopt a standard for the installation and location of natural gas detectors after an industry standard has been promulgated
- DOB will create a penalty waiver program, which will allow building owners to bring appliances and systems up to code without paying a penalty
- Certain violations will be classified as “immediately hazardous” such as installing gas without a permit
To learn more see the press release from the Office of the Mayor here.
Disclaimer: The services provided by Design 2147, Ltd., its officers, managers, or employees are non-legal services. As such, the protection of the attorney-client relationship does not exist with respect to the services provided. The information contained in the above report is the opinion of the writer and his/her interpretation of the various NYC Construction Codes and Laws referenced therein. It is also based on information that you have provided. Although every effort was made to provide for a complete and thorough analysis, neither Design 2147, Ltd., nor any of its officers, managers or employees guarantees the accuracy of any information contained herein. Reliance upon the information contained herein is entirely at your own risk. As this opinion is only advisory, the final decision is the responsibility of the designated authority charged with the administration and enforcement of said codes.